Saturday 21 January 2017

Blowing my own trumpet

Do you know that idiom, "To blow one's own trumpet"? Well, it means to brag or boast about something you have achieved.

This post has nothing to do about that. Haha!

Actually, I am going to do the opposite - admit my weakness.

You see, I used to play the cornet (a small trumpet) some time ago. But what happens when you don't practice something for a long time? You get "rusty" or bad at it. You can even lose that talent totally. This includes speaking a language.

Well, that's what happened when I didn't play my cornet for around 3 years.

So, today I have been practising my cornet and it's taking me quite a while to regain the muscular fitness I need to play well.

Playing a brass instrument, such as a cornet, trumpet, trombone, tuba etc uses a bunch of muscles in your face and torso that don't often get much use.

I'll stick with it. I am determined to keep practising and improve my playing. Maybe you have a favourite tune that you'd like me to try and play? Feel free to send it to me.

What instrument do you play?
How often do you practice?
Is there an instrument you really, really wish you could play?

No comments:

Post a Comment